Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tell The Coming Generation: Part One

I've been thinking ("a dangerous past time, I know"--name that movie!) and meditating on our countries current situation and lack of godly leaders. I was flipping through one of our new psalters this morning and came to Psalm 78B, I've always liked this selection but like it EVEN better now in the new version, its just much clearer. This is what it says:

O come, my people, to my law
Attentively give ear;
The words that from my mouth proceed
Incline yourselves to hear.
My mouth will speak a parable,
The sayings dark of old,
Which we have listened to and known
As by our fathers told.

We'll from their children hide them not,
But tell the age to come
The praises of the LORD, His strength,
The wonders he has done.
His word He unto Jacob gave,
His law to Israel,
Which He our fathers did command
To teach their children well,

That children yet unborn might know,
And their descendants lead,
To trust in God, recall God's works,
And His commandments heed;
And not be what their fathers were--
Rebellious through and through,
For they would not correct their hearts,
Nor unto God stay true.

-Psalm 78B The Book of Psalms for Worship
I am also reading in my devotional reading Isaiah, which includes a lot of cities/countries being destroyed for the evil in them--which of course makes me ponder my dear country and all that's going on right now.

Today, as I pondered this Psalm, I wondered also about the Israelites and the, "The people did what was right [or "evil"] in the eyes of the Lord" phrases. According to this Psalm, the people did what was evil in the eyes of the Lord because the previous generations FORGOT the Lords glorious deeds, might and wonders that he did. I think this is where the U.S. is today. We (the nation) have forgotten the wonders he did for our country, the freedoms we were allowed, the blessing of our soils and lands. We live at a time where ANYTHING but God is god (just look at scientists who admit there really isn't that much supporting evidence for evolution but won't turn to think that there might be "something out there"). We may not mold idols out of gold, but we sure have replaced them with a whole lot of other stuff; Materialism is running rampant! I mean, have you watched TV recently? It is a big reason that we don't have dish/cable--but that's a WHOLE 'nuther post! ;) The Earth is also another big god right now; to "prevent Global Warming", to be "Green", save the animals from extinction. The being green and saving the animals all have good, valid points if we're to be good stewards of the earth, but REPLACING God and telling lies about how we're all going to die if we don't stop driving SUVs?? Not so much.

Anyway! Back to the Israelites! I got to thinking and wondering about turning our country around, what did they (the Israelites) do? How did they do it? I remembered from the Truth Project, the phrase "Remember, Repent, and Return". So remembering being the first thing to do, how do we remember?

Stay tuned for part two! :)

1 comment: